What Is Your Life Motto? – by Brad Rhame
What is your life motto?
Why is it important to have a life motto? Well, let’s first think about companies. Do they have vision statements? Yes. Do they have mission statements? Yes. Do they have strategic plans, operational plans, tactical plans? Yes. And why is this? Because they need a plan of attack and a way to keep themselves on track. Every time they think about a new product, service, or advertisement they have to ask if it lines up with who they are and where they are going.
The same holds true for your personal life. Who do you want to be? Where do you want to go? How do you want to get there? This can all be answered in a personal life motto that you live out every day. It keeps you on track and thinking along the right lines.
My life motto is “Love to Live and Learn to Laugh”
That statement has 7 different meanings to me. Can you find them? Well, if not let me briefly point them out.
1. Love – The New Oxford American Dictionary defines it, “an intense feeling of deep affection”
2. Live – Do the vital requirements to stay alive
3. Learn – That same dictionary defines it, “gain or acquire knowledge of a skill in (something) by study, experience, or being taught; commit to memory.”
4. Laugh – Let life be enjoyable and laugh about it
5. Love to Live – Which means to really be excited about your life and what you get to do with it. You never know when the ride stops
6. Learn to Laugh – Life can be embarrassing sometimes and you have to laugh it off or laugh at yourself. Others will appreciate you for it
7. Live and Learn – Realize that your failure is a chance to do better the next time
Those are extremely short definitions of each one of those words and phrases. Each one of those has so much meaning behind them, that I could go on all day about each. That is what you have to do with a life motto. It needs to be simple, memorable, and point you to what you want in life.
By coming up with a life motto (and it may change) you are taking the first step in creating the life you always wanted. Wake up every day and recite it. Put yourself in the right frame of mind, at the beginning of the day, and you will be amazed at your success. So, let me ask you again…What is your life motto?